Bublanina Bubbly Cake Recipe
Slovakian Bublanina (roughly translates to Bubbly Cake) is one of the easiest and most delicious recipes I’ve ever made. It roughly takes 20 minutes to prepare and 40 minutes to bake in the oven and is well worth the wait while it fills the house with its wonderful aroma.
This recipe is just one of many variations of this cake (koláč), as it is a traditional cake cooked by every Slovakian grandmother (babka) to their own family recipe handed down through generations.
- 500g Plain flour
- 400g Powdered / icing sugar
- 4x Eggs
- 200ml (5/6 cup) Sunflour oil (or similar)
- 300ml (1x ½ cups) Milk
- Small cap of vanilla extract
- Blueberries or cherries
- Butter (to grease the pan)
2. Whisk the ingredients together until everything is mixed thoroughly.
Mix well and pour into a medium-sized deep baking pan which you first greased with butter. Also sprinkle flour into the pan before pouring the cake batter.
4. Then add your favourite fruit. Blueberries are really popular, and so are cherries. I recommend you push the fruit in slightly to the mixture, just enough for the dough to cover the tops. The fruit should be distributed fairly evenly throughout the cake, but you can’t really get this part wrong.
5. Bake at 180°C (350°F) until the sides of the cake no longer stick to the pan and a toothpick (or something similar) stuck in the cake comes out clean. Check the cake in few spots to make sure it is baked through.
6. Top with a little powdered sugar (ideally do this by holding a finely grated strainer above the cake and pouring sugar into it while shaking the strainer). Enjoy with a cup of tea, coffee (káva) or hot chocolate (kakao).
Serves: 6 people